Connect with us on
Kosha Mangsho by Ratna Prakash
- Mutton – 1 kg mutton (marinated overnight in 2 tablespoons yoghurt, 2 tablespoons mustard oil, 2 teaspoons turmeric powder and 2teaspoons sugar)
- Onions – 5 medium, grated
- Garlic – 1 Tablespoon, grated
- Ginger – 2 Tablespoons, grated
- Coriander Powder – 2 Teaspoons
- Cumin Powder – 1 Teaspoon
- Cinnamon – 1” stick
- Green Cardamom – 10
- Cloves – 10
- Whole Black Pepper – 2 Teaspoons
- Yoghurt – 1 cup, beaten
- Ghee – 6 Tablespoons
- Coriander Leaves – 1 Tablespoon, chopped
- Salt – to taste
Grind the cinnamon, cardamom, cloves and pepper to a coarse powder and keep aside. Heat 4 tablespoons ghee in a pan and put in the marinated meat, a few pieces at a time and brown thoroughly.
After all the meat has been browned, put the pieces back in the pan. Add more ghee, and stir till all the juices have evaporated. Remove the meat from the pan and keep aside. Put in the grated onions in the pan. Sauté till the paste turns pinky brown. Now add the ginger and garlic. Sauté for 2 minutes.
Add the spice powders and salt. Stir for 2 minutes. Now add the meat and stir. Add 1 cup yoghurt and work it into the meat. Cover and cook on low heat till the meat is tender. You need to check frequently and add a few tablespoons of water from time to time to prevent it from sticking.
Add the ground spices and 1 teaspoon of sugar. Garnish with finely chopped coriander and serve with luchis. This meat has very little gravy.