Connect with us on
To a basic sugar syrup of the consistency that you like, you can add a variety of flavours which can add that something extra to cocktails and desserts.
- Boil whole cloves and cinnamon sticks in the syrup and let steep for a bit before straining and storing. You can add nutmeg also. Good for whisky and rum punches.
- Add powdered saunf or aniseed to the syrup to get a strong anise flavour. This is a delicious syrup for cocktails.
- Add a pinch of saffron for a nice yellow color and the distinct flavour. Great for desserts.
- Add fresh herbs to the syrup while it is still cooking. The quantities will depend on how strong you want the flavour to be. Rosemary and mint do very well. Great for cocktails.
- Add strips of orange peel, lemon, grapefruit or any other citrus to the hot sugar syrup and let it steep to get a fresh citrus flavor. Delicious in desserts and drinks both.
Do tell us if you liked this recipe. And follow us on our Facebook Fan page for regular updates.
Photo source: www.moderntiki.com