Connect with us on
Tomato Rasam contributed by Sobha Krishnan
- Tomatoes – 2, medium sized, chopped
- Rasam Powder – 1 1/2 Teaspoons
- Turmeric Powder – 1Teaspoon
- Hing – 1 Teaspoon
- Gur (jiggery) – 1 Small Piece
- Curry Leaves – 2 Sprigs
- Tur Dal Cooked – 1/3 Cup
- Pepper powder – ¼ tsp
- Tamarind – 1 Small Ball, soaked in water
- Rai – 1 Teaspoon
- Coriander Leaves – 1 Tablespoon, chopped for garnish
Mixture of coriander seeds, cumin seeds, peppercorn, red chillies, hing, fenugreek seeds in equal proportions. Dry roast and grind to fine powder.
Extract the pulp from the tamarind. Heat karahi, add the chopped tomatoes and saute. Add the tamarind pulp and 2 cups of water. Add hing, turmeric, salt, rasam powder, gur and curry leaves. Let it boil and cook for 10 minutes. Add the cooked dal into the rasam and add some more water. Cook it together. Remove from fire. Heat oil in a karahi, add the rai, red chillies and curry leaves. Once they splutter add to the rasam. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.